Green Olive Company
Lemon Scones with Sicilian Lemon Glaze
A delightfully rich, flaky, buttery pastry topped with sweet icing. Perfect for brunch, tea parties, bridal showers, and Mother’s Day!
Yield: 8-12 scones
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20-30 minutes
- 6 ounces cold butter (1-1/2 sticks)
- 1 tablespoon Green Olive Company Sicilian Lemon White Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 4 cups flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon iodized salt
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons Green Olive Company Sicilian Lemon White Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 cup berries (blueberries or mixed); Firmly frozen for best results
1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. Blend wet ingredients together (except the butter). Add vanilla, eggs, buttermilk, and Green Olive Company Sicilian White Balsamic Vinegar to a bowl, and blend together.
3. In a separate bowl, blend dry ingredients together. Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
4. Blend butter into the dry ingredients using a pastry blender, or by grating cold butter into the dry ingredients and blending by hand. Combine until crumbly.
5. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients. Add all at once and combine. *Do not overmix. Dough will remain a bit crumbly.
6. Scoop individual dough mounds onto a parchment lined baking sheet using a medium to full-size ice cream scoop.
7. Bake at 350° for 20-30 minutes, based on oven and size of scoop until puffed in size and golden brown. Remove and cool before glazing.
8. While baking, make the glaze by combining confectioners’ sugar and Sicilian Lemon White Balsamic Vinegar in a low-med heated saucepan. Add butter and stir to preferred taste and consistency. Drizzle over cooled scones and enjoy!
To make Lemon-Berry Scones, keep berries firmly frozen until the dough is completely mixed, then fold in gently by hand and complete regular instructions.
Special thanks to Omega Bakery, artisans of handcrafted breads and sweet temptations for over 20 years! Visit them in the historic North Market shopping district.