Green Olive Company
Key Lime Refrigerator Pickles
Delightfully sweet and crisp with just the right hint of tartness, these quick Key Lime Refrigerator Pickles are completely customizable to your personal taste. Use brown sugar for a darker brine and deeper flavor or use a bit of turmeric to achieve a classic yellow color.
Prep time: 10 minutes
- 1 pound pickling cucumbers ( about 4 small ones), ends removed and cut into spears or slices
- 1/2 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup Green Olive Company Key Lime White Balsamic Vinegar
- 1/2 cup Green Olive Company Gravenstein Apple White Balsamic Vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon lime zest
- 1 teaspoon whole yellow mustard seeds
- 2 tablespoons fine sea salt or pickling salt
- 1 tablespoon whole black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
1. Cut cucumbers into thin spears or slices and pack them into pre-washed jars, placing onion pieces between them to keep the cucumbers separated
2. Top with peppercorns, mustard seed, celery seed, and any other desired spices. Cap and store in the refrigerator to preserve their freshness
3. Combine the vinegars, water, salt, and sugar in a small saucepan. Bring the ingredients to a simmer over medium heat until the salt and sugar are completely dissolved. Let the mixture cool to a safe, warm temperature.
4. Pour the warm vinegar mixture over the cucumbers, filling the jars to the very top. Top off the jars with a bit of water if the cucumbers aren't completely covered.
5. Fasten the jar lids and refrigerate for 24-48 hours before enjoying. Your Key Lime Refrigerator Pickles will keep in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.