This month we are focusing on immune system and Vitamin D boosting recipes, to combat the last leg of flu season!
Vitamin D is important for calcium absorption and the forming/maintenance of strong bones. Vitamin D has also been shown to reduce symptoms of depression. It can be found in egg yolks from free range chickens, cod liver oil, wild mushrooms such as portobello and crimini, and fatty omega rich fish.
Immune boosting foods include: Citrus, Bell Peppers, Broccoli, Garlic, Ginger, Spinach, Yogurt, Almonds, Turmeric, Green Tea, Papaya, Kiwi, Poultry, Sunflower Seeds, and Shellfish.
This dairy-free Cream of Mushroom soup is perfect for boosting your Vitamin D and immune system. It is warm, hearty, and delicious. Let us know how you liked it in the comments!
- 1 1/2 lbs [wild] mushrooms [include mitaki & shiitaki for greater boost]
- 1 yellow onion
- 3 cloves chopped garlic
- 1/4 cup olive oil + 2 tbsp
- 1 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp sea salt + 1/2 tsp
- 2 tbsp arrowroot starch
- 1 1/2 cups broth or stock [I used chicken bone broth]
- 1 can coconut milk
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 4 tsp parsley
- You can also use add fresh grated ginger for the extra immune boost
- Rinse, pat dry, and slice mushrooms about 1/4″ thick. Chop the onion and garlic.
- Set a large stock pot on medium heat. Once hot, add 1/4 cup olive oil, onion, and garlic and stir.
- After 2-3 minutes, add the sliced mushrooms, dried thyme, and 1 tsp sea salt. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove about 1 cup of the mushrooms (2-3 slices per serving bowl). Sprinkle in the arrowroot starch and stir. Add the broth and coconut milk and stir.
- Raise the heat to high and bring to a boil. Once a boil is reached, bring to low and let simmer. Once it has cooled a little bit, add the lemon juice and 1/4 tsp more sea salt.
- Use an immersion blender or ladle into a standing blender and puree until smooth. Divide into 4 soup bowls and top with the reserved mushrooms and fresh chopped parsley. Add another squeeze of lemon and/or drizzle of EVOO if you wish.